Battery UPS For Data Center
For Data Center, electricity is considered as the main factor that serves the power to the server equipment in the data center. The UPS battery is responsible for storing electricity for UPS, while the power supply is in normal operation. When there is the power failure which may be due to power outages. The battery acts as a power source to power the UPS to distribute power to the server, allowing the server to work for as long as it has been designed.
The battery that supplies power to the UPS is mostly Valve-regulated Lead Acid (VRLA). It will be kept or sealed in containers made of Polypropylene. The battery is a maintenance free battery. The advantage is that there is no fluid leak that is harmful to health.
Maintenance of the battery is very necessary. Because of lack of maintenance, battery may not be able to back up the power to supply to the computer equipment in an emergency situation, which may result in higher damage than the maintenance cost.
Battery can be used according to the usage as follows :
- Reserve Power – Reserve power as UPS, security, telecom, medical lab, IT data center.
- Motive Power – Used in traction, machinery, airport ground, electric vehicles.
- Energy storage – Energy storage systems in power plants, alternative energy sources such as solar system or wind turbine.
- Starting Power – Used in the crankshaft system in engine.
VRLA Battery Structure
Lead Acid battery has main compositions as follows :
- Sulfuric (H2SO4) electrolyte solution
- Electrode + (PBO2) Electrode + (PBO2)
- Electrode – (PB)
Electrolyte solution is the mix solution between water and sulfuric acid. It is a catalyst in battery.
The smallest component in the battery is cell which consists of 5 main components namely.
- Positive Plate (+) lead oxide
- Negative Plate (‐) of sponge lead
- Sulfuric acid electrolyte solution